Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 5: Trying Cross Country Skiing




Yay, this task had me jazzed up with excitement. I've always thought this was an activity I would enjoy. I love snow, love the endorphin high that goes with a good cardio workout, love being outside and away from the hectic pace of city life.

And, I was not to be disappointed. I was in complete and utter heaven out there. Picture a crisp (very crisp at 14 degrees), sunny day with the perfect snow conditions, a perfectly groomed track, and not many people out but the -4- of us (Jeff, myself, and our FAB Uncle Pete and Aunt Pam). First, a few words about them, because I Love Them To Pieces. They are 62 years young and are such fun to hang out with. They are positive minded, up to try anything, appreciate and take care of their bodies, and also love a good bottle of red. My kind of folk. And I can only hope to be just like them when I am 62.


I especially love Pam today, because she gave some hand warmers. Just five minutes into the trail, I started  whimpering about that 14 degree weather and my cold hands. Anyone that knows me well knows that there are -2- things that can make me undeniably crabby: being cold and being hungry.  Those hand warmers made this adventure fun. Without them, I could have been one cranky (cold) mess.

The actual cross country skiing is a bit tricky. It involves using -4- limbs at once and focusing on creating a natural and sustainable rhythm among the -4- extremities. I was a herky jerky, robot looking thing for awhile. But then it (sort of) clicked and I was going much smoother and faster and was LOVING it. (I was the only one of our foursome to fall down. I fell twice, actually. But as my new saying goes "You Can't Win if You Don't Play" - ya gotta go "all in" if you really want to learn something, yes?)

We saw deer (20 feet away, tops), eagles, and plenty o' sunshine. Lovely way to spend a morning. And we made it 8 miles. Not too shabby for -2- newbies and the Elder Neumanns, right?

Jeff and I are totally sold on the sport. We'll go a few more times this season. And try to get the kids into it next year. It makes us feel a little less uncool for not being downhill skiers. We've tried that and it's just not for us. I hate being out of control, am scared to death of high places, dislike being cold and just think it's too expensive/time consuming with little kids. Cross country is just sooo much more my kinda thing.

And, I can't say enough about the Methow Valley. Gorgeous. Sunny. Friendly. Good People.

Yep, Day #5 was a damn good day.

1 comment: