Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 15: Cook something new.

I actually baked something I've never made before. I had planned on "cooking" but we were going to dinner at a friend's house...and she asked me to bring dessert. And she requested something chocolatey. Easy Peasy.

I opted for a chocolate pound cake with chocolate fudge icing. After using up almost all the butter in my entire house and after baking it in the bundt, the pound cake looked promising (see exhibit A). And it smelled heavenly. In fact, the hubs commented several times throughout the day how good the house smelled. And the fudge icing (more butter) was ooey and gooey and oh-so-chocolatey. Sampled that. Yum.

We had strawberries on hand, so I spruced it with those for more festive, Valentine flair. Yay! Off to the dinner...

Exhibit A (looks promising, right?)

My GF made an odd, but delish combo of a Italian soup/stew and a salad that just may be my new favorite thing ever. It's a Tom Douglas salad (Spinach, Pear and Frisee Salad with Bacon and Curried Cashews) served at his restaurant, Etta's. In fact, we loved it soooo much, I am making it for our Valentine's Dinner tomorrow. Let me just say that those Curried Cashews are like crack...And by crack, I mean - Spicy and Salty Little Pieces of Heaven that you just cannot stop throwing down.

Thus, the bar had been raised.

Sadly, the cake, after that taste medley of a dinner, was a total let down. The icing was delightful and the strawberries were fab! But the cake was just like something you would find served at Applebees. Yeah, Applebees. Major Boo!! How can a cake with -3- cubes of butter possibly be blah? I just don't get it....

C'est la vie! Good times with some old friends. Sometimes the company just surpasses the "num nums", anyway, yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment